----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <[log in to unmask]>
> Though there may be doubts about the technical proficiency of the
performers
> and technicians, this group nonetheless serves as an audio time machine to
> cultural and social activities and attitudes which, though they seem
> unimportant when made, take on considerable interest with the passage of
> time.
Actually, the interest seems to be in the form of a time-based bell curve!
As we get older and more nostalgic, we like to re-experience our youth or
the time of our youth...then as we get yet older and our generation dies
off the artifacts become of interest mainly to historians, professional
or amateur...and their numbers are less. However, their interest is based
on much more than simple nostalgia!
> Of course, I'm not sure where I'd draw the line if offered the entire
> archive of a busy karaoke bar.
Actually, since only the backing tracks are recorded, this wouldn't be
a large collection! Some karaoke bars will record performance for a fee,
of course...
Steven C. Barr