----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
That is exactly my point.  ALL of the material I mentioned should have been, and mostly was, scrapped simply because there were literally tons of it and scrap metal was valuable.  But if there is no durable medium so that there can be accidental survival, there will be absolutely no record of the past beyond that which is part of the official database.
And among the things we lost were any number of original stampers, some of alternate takes, as well as uncounted numbers
of shellac records, some of which may have been the last surviving copies. Add to that the documents forever lost through
disasters (the only surviving archive  of my home-town newspaper was lost when the library was demolished by a tornado,
and there is only an incomplete archive of Oshawa newspapers due to a fire in the early 1950s) and there are areas of
history which are totally inaccessible to us today? My point is why repeat these errors, I suppose...
...stevenc
At first, sound vanished as soon as it stopped reverberating in the air.  Then for a hundred years, it could be locked in physical media that could last forever. Now it is once again being reduced to transient waves; electrons circulating in cyberspace only as long as they are kept reflecting from surface to semiconducting surface.

How is this to be managed?

Mike Csontos