conservative, assuming this is not a distinct langauge variety until there
is better evidence indicating otherwise.

Peter

----- Forwarded by Peter Constable/IntlAdmin/WCT on 07/24/2003 04:06 PM
-----

Dear Peter,

Bernard Comrie is an excellent linguist--one of the best. I would
accept anything he says.

Sincerely, Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Comrie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:55 PM
To: Barbara F. Grimes
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Sorbian (Other), or Deprecation

To:     Barbara Grimes
Cc:       Ray Gordon, Milicent Wewerka
From:       Bernard Comrie
Date:     2003 Jul 24
Subj:        Sorbian

Dear Barbara:

For relevant information on Sorbian dialects, I'd suggest looking
at the chapter on Sorbian by Gerald Stone in Comrie & Corbett,
the Slavonic Languages, Routledge, 1993, pp. 682-3. Summarizing
briefly what he says, between Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian
there are transitional dialects, and the eastern transitional
dialects of Schleife and Muskau "have a pronounced
individuality".

I believe that Helene Brijnen has been working on some of these
varieties recently. Her e-mail address (unverified) is

Best,
Bernard

--

New address!   -   Neue Adresse!   -  Nouvelle adresse!
Novyj adres!              -           ¡Nueva dirección!

Prof. Dr. Bernard Comrie     Director, Department of Linguistics

Deutscher Platz 6                      tel +49 341 35 50 301
D-04103 Leipzig                 tel secretary +49 341 35 50 315
Germany                                   fax +49 341 35 50 333

E-mail:                                        [log in to unmask]
Home page:                       http://www.eva.mpg.de/~comrie2/

A copy of all incoming e-mail is fowarded to my secretary.    If
you do not wish your message to be read other than by me, please
put "private" in the subject box.