At 10:39 AM 8/8/2003 -0400, Joel Bresler wrote:
>Dear friends:
>
>For a discographical project, I need to image several hundred LP covers. I
>currently own a flatbed scanner, but it can only take up to 8 1/2" x 11"
>originals. I  need adequate, not tremendous, resolution and color depth.
>
>I would, of course, like to accomplish this task while spending the least
>amount of time and money possible! If anyone has found a scanner large
>enough to accomplish the task without breaking the bank, that would be one
>option. Second, it's occured to me a digital camera heldl in a special
>stand with appropriate lighting might be the other way to go. Suggestions
>welcome!

Shhh - do *not* call the copyright cops!

I have done such scans routinely using an 8.5x14 flatbed; unfortunately,
price pressure has driven them out of the lower range of scanners, where
one would be great for your application, but I recommend that you seek one
out. Two scans with overlap are then stitched together in your preferred
graphics program (I use the late, lamented Micrgrafx PicturePublisher, but
I'm a troglodyte so my choice must be discounted.)

There are copiers which are essentially what you are thinking of in the
second paragraph: stands with illumination and a capture device -
essentially a digital camera. They are used for books and three-dimensional
objects. If you search for them under 3D, esepcially in catalogues of lab
equipment and instrumentation, you have a chance of locating one. However,
anyone with reasonable imagination, a digital camera, a tripod and
illumination should be able to cobble something together for you. Recognize
that amateur cameras are likely to have significant barrel or pincushion
distortion , uneven sensitivity and other flaws which will not disturb that
picture of Aunt Ellen kissing the elephant (or is it the other way
'round?), but will compromise the precision of your capture. Depending on
your purpose, that may be relevant.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/