I've done them two ways:

cheep and long:

Splice FOUR images of 8.5x11 scans together in Photoshop

Fast and wonderful:

I have given up film. I now have a Nikon D100 that I use for almost all my
imaging, including slide scanning and album cover scanning. I do have the
AF 60mm f/2.8 and AF 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkors (for about a dozen or so
years, actually).

Cheers,

Richard