From: Bill Walker/Amigos [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 August 2003 15:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Scanning LP covers
Joel,

 I read many of the messages regarding the issue of scanning LP covers.

In my opinion, an oversize scanner would be the simplest and most effective
option for your money.

In most digital imaging projects where digital cameras are used, the cameras
(or camera backs) alone can cost 10,000 dollars or more.  The lighting,
power supplies and a studio impervious to vibration are extras.   Often it
takes a minute or more to scan one object.  Even if you choose a less
expensive digital camera, you will still spend a great deal of time and
money ensuring that the lighting will be adequate enough to capture the
detail and color.   If you use a conventional camera and then scan the
slides or prints you will lose a lot of color fidelity in the translation.

Also, as in digital audio, it is best to scan at high resolution and then
scale down for other applications such as delivery on the web.

The beauty of a flat-bed scanner is that it has its own lighting source and
adjustable resolution.  A camera may have some zooming capability but the
resolution settings on a scanner are much more finely adjustable.   If you
plan to use these images in a printed publication, you will need very
high-resolution images.

I hope this helps,
=============================
Bill Walker
Imaging Field Services Officer
Amigos Library Services
14400 Midway Road
Dallas, TX 75244-3509
Phone: 800-843-8482 x153
Fax 972-991-6061
Email: [log in to unmask]
=============================

Now exhibiting at the British Library Galleries:

Painted Labyrinth : the world of the Lindisfarne Gospels

Until 28 September 2003.  Admission Free.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.