My understanding is that pairs of Victor discs were sold separately, as if
they were singles, with whatever sleeves the dealer chose for selling (or
whatever the customer chose to use, which could have included an unnumbered
album). Only pairs which were numbered as sets came with albums and notes;
there were a few special exceptions and a few pairs which began as pairs
and later received set numbers and albums. For many years one could buy, at
least by special order, just one disc from a set.

Richard Warren