Joel-

The digital camera with a photo stand probably is your best option.
The issue as you guessed is eliminating any glare and getting equal
illumination across the entire image. My father is writing a book with
many photos and illustrations and he has had great success with
this set-up, he is however using a conventional Nikon F-series
not a digital camera.

aa
On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:39 AM, Joel Bresler wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> For a discographical project, I need to image several hundred LP
> covers. I
> currently own a flatbed scanner, but it can only take up to 8 1/2" x
> 11"
> originals. I  need adequate, not tremendous, resolution and color
> depth.
>
> I would, of course, like to accomplish this task while spending the
> least
> amount of time and money possible! If anyone has found a scanner large
> enough to accomplish the task without breaking the bank, that would be
> one
> option. Second, it's occured to me a digital camera heldl in a special
> stand with appropriate lighting might be the other way to go.
> Suggestions
> welcome!
>
> Best,
>
> Joel