I think we can carry this debate back to the days when tough guys would
use their "revolvers" to "wipe out"  someone.   The name, I would guess,
was based on the spindle or pin around which the chambers of the pistol
revolved.  They didn't exactly complete a  full rotation except in the
case of emptying said weapon.

Anyway, the definition of "rotate" in my dictionary is:

1. to cause to turn around an axis or center point: revolve.

So, I agree with Don.