We are using the Umax PowerLook 2100XL which has a bed large enough to
scan the whole cover and it is working quite well.  We did have some
initial problems but once everything was in place we have had no
difficulty.  The process is relatively slow but we decided to use good
quality settings with the expectation technology would improve and we
would have a good quality available for the next stage.  I do not
remember the cost as we bought it three years ago, but it was a bit
pricey.

We were able to get a grant to purchase most of the equipment we have
needed.

I have been told that album covers were never copyrighted.  I am not a
lawyer and the person who provided the information is not a lawyer, just
a folklorist with an incredible memory who has very rarely been wrong
when used as a resource.  It would be nice to have some confirmation but
I would settle for the true legal position on album cover copyrights.

Elliott Hancock
Assistant Manager
Ozark Folk Center
P.O. Box 500/1032 Park Ave.