>> 3) Why is their a role attribute for and a role element for names?
>
>There isn't a role attribute.

Bruce,

The role attribute you are probably noticing is from the xlink
namespace.  We are using the xlink simpleLink attribute group on the
name element which includes the following attributes href, role,
arcrole, title, show and actuate.  The purpose of these attributes are
to provide a link to the name authority record.  This xlink construct is
also used elsewhere in the schema to provide different linking (title
authority, subject, relatedItem).  While we have allowed for this
functionality in mods we have yet to actually use it in practice so I
can't give you a good real life example at this time.

Corey

Corey Keith / [log in to unmask]
Digital Project Coordinator
The Library of Congress
Phone: 202-707-7196 / Fax: 202-707-0115

From: "Bruce D'Arcus" < [log in to unmask]>
> 2) Why is their a wrapper for titles (titleInfo) and not for names?

If I understand the question it's "why do we need a titleInfo and not a
nameInfo?"

The actual title, <title>, is one sub-element among several within
<titleInfo>. These two need different names. (One could argue that they
don't. But the reasoning was that people will sometimes want to search
the
actual title and other times the whole structure. Depending on the query

language, this could be difficult if they have the same name.)

So one choice was to call the super-structure "title" and the actual
title
"actualTitle"; the other choice was <titleInfo> and <title>
respectively.
The latter approach seemed to better reflect the structure. (I.e. "here
is
title information and within it here is the title" as opposed to "here
is
the title, and within it is the real

<Name> doesn't have this problem because there is no subordinate "actual

name", but instead a bunch of "name parts" named appropriately
<namePart>
(repeatable) so the element names are distinguished.

> 3) Why is their a role attribute for and a role element for names?

There isn't a role attribute.

--Ray