I agree that this information is very helpful and one that has potential for
numerous uses.  I also think having it NOT in a note field aids to the
usefulness of the date.  I am confused by Bruce's comment about this access
date being separated from the URL - I picture the whole MODS record
connected to the URL so I don't understand the significance of having the
date in a separate field. Or am I missing your intent?

Suzanne

Suzanne C. Pilsk
Cataloging Services
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
PO Box 37012
Natural History Building, Room 30- MRC 0154
Washington, DC 20013-7012
202-357-3161

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/28/03 07:43PM >>>
I think this would be useful for purposes other than traditional
bibliographic citation.  For services which are selecting and describing
websites (e.g. subject gateways), there is always the problem of whether
describe a resource which might disappear, and how to describe a resource
which might change significantly from the time it is described.  In these
scenarios, having a <dateAccessed> - which could be updated if there is a
significant review of the resource and record - would be a helpful way of
indicating to users 'We accessed and described the resource as we found it
on this date.  It may have changed/moved since then'.

Cheers

Marie-Louise

In