At 11:37 PM 9/25/2003 -0400, Joel Bresler wrote:
>I am digitizing a genre collection of music, and accessing the digital
>files both via the RealOne player, and by hyperlinks from an Excel
>spreadsheet. I cannot use these programs as an access point to what's on
>the CD.
>
>It happens that I have an earlier, non-protected version of this particular
>recording, so my question is more in anticipation of this nonsense
>spreading than how to deal with this particular CD.
>
>By the way, these CDs do NOT bear the audio CD logo, since they don't
>adhere to the Philips/Sony standards.

I have not yet encountered such a recording - one of the advantages of the
companies' lack of interest in classical music. I am told that some
readers, notably Plextors, are not disturbed by many of the "protection"
schemes. The rumors about a marker on the outer portion of the disc
defeating the Cactus scheme are correct, but that would not be a
recommended solution. The tracks should be accessible using a selector such
as Session Selector in Easy CD Creator or Multimounter in Nero. They should
also be extractable (not your objective, I know) with ISOBuster or CD/DVD
Diagnostic (or the more costly Inspector). All of those are linked from the
CD-R side of my WWW site.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/