Hi Jerry:

References within the METS schema to XLink are using the "
http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink"
namepsace URI.  The XLink spec at W3C specifies the use of the
"http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
namespace URI, see
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xlink-20010627/#att-method>.
Is there a reason for the discrepancy?

We're trying to embed metadata files using the "1999" URI into
METS documents with the "TR" URI.  If we don't change one
or the other we'll have to use two different namespace prefixes.
Not a terrible problem, but it would probably be easier to understand in
ten years time if we had just one namespace for all XLink elements.

Thanks,

---
Stephen L. Abrams
Digital Library Program Manager
Harvard University Library, Office for Information Systems
1280 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 404
Cambridge, MA 02138
T (617) 495-3724
F (617) 495-0491