Dear all,

In the METS tutorial at
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/METSOverview.v2.html
<http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/METSOverview.v2.html)> ) we can read:

______________________________

The <mdRef> element of this <dmdSec> contains four attributes. (...) the
MDTYPE allows you to indicate what form of metadata is being referenced.
Valid values for the MDTYPE element include MARC, MODS, EAD, VRA (VRA
Core), DC (Dublin Core), NISOIMG (NISO Technical Metadata for Digital
Still Images), LC-AV (Library of Congress Audiovisual Metadata) , TEIHDR
(TEI Header), DDI (Data Documentation Initiative), FGDC (Federal
Geographic Data Committee Metadata Standard [FGDC-STD-001-1998] ), and
OTHER. (...).

______________________________

This description is related with this part of the METS Schema 1.3
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd):

 <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd#> - <xsd:attributeGroup
name="METADATA">
 <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd#> - <xsd:attribute
name="MDTYPE" use="required">
 <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd#> - <xsd:simpleType>
 <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd#> - <xsd:restriction
base="xsd:string">
  <xsd:enumeration value="MARC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="MODS" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="EAD" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="DC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="NISOIMG" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="LC-AV" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="VRA" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="TEIHDR" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="DDI" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="FGDC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="OTHER" />
  </xsd:restriction>
  </xsd:simpleType>
  </xsd:attribute>
  <xsd:attribute name="OTHERMDTYPE" type="xsd:string" use="optional" />
  </xsd:attributeGroup>
______________________________

Since at we are using UNIMARC as our bibliographic format at the BN -
National Library of Portugal, and we are moving our infrastructure to
METS, I'd like to make the proposal to have included in the list of
values for MDTYPE the value "UNIMARC".

BN is also the actual coordinator of the IFLA's UNIMARC Program. In that
sense we'd like to commit ourselves with the raising of awarness about
METS by the UNIMARC community, providing its spread (which we can do
after the MDTYPE revision).

Regards

jlb

________
Prof. José Luis Borbinha <[log in to unmask]>
Biblioteca Nacional (National Library of Portugal)
Direcção de Serviços de Inovação e Desenvolvimento
(Direction of Services for Innovation and Development)
Campo Grande, 83 - 1749-081 Lisboa - PORTUGAL
Tel./Fax: (+351) 217 982 083 / 217 982 123