Dear all,

In the METS tutorial at (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/METSOverview.v2.html) we can read:

______________________________

The <mdRef> element of this <dmdSec> contains four attributes. (...) the MDTYPE allows you to indicate what form of metadata is being referenced. Valid values for the MDTYPE element include MARC, MODS, EAD, VRA (VRA Core), DC (Dublin Core), NISOIMG (NISO Technical Metadata for Digital Still Images), LC-AV (Library of Congress Audiovisual Metadata) , TEIHDR (TEI Header), DDI (Data Documentation Initiative), FGDC (Federal Geographic Data Committee Metadata Standard [FGDC-STD-001-1998] ), and OTHER. (...).

______________________________

This description is related with this part of the METS Schema 1.3 (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd):

- <xsd:attributeGroup name="METADATA">
- <xsd:attribute name="MDTYPE" use="required">
- <xsd:simpleType>
- <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
  <xsd:enumeration value="MARC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="MODS" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="EAD" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="DC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="NISOIMG" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="LC-AV" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="VRA" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="TEIHDR" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="DDI" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="FGDC" />
  <xsd:enumeration value="OTHER" />
  </xsd:restriction>
  </xsd:simpleType>
  </xsd:attribute>
  <xsd:attribute name="OTHERMDTYPE" type="xsd:string" use="optional" />
  </xsd:attributeGroup>

______________________________

Since at we are using UNIMARC as our bibliographic format at the BN - National Library of Portugal, and we are moving our infrastructure to METS, I'd like to make the proposal to have included in the list of values for MDTYPE the value "UNIMARC".

BN is also the actual coordinator of the IFLA's UNIMARC Program. In that sense we'd like to commit ourselves with the raising of awarness about METS by the UNIMARC community, providing its spread (which we can do after the MDTYPE revision).

Regards

jlb

________
Prof. José Luis Borbinha <[log in to unmask]>
Biblioteca Nacional (National Library of Portugal)
Direcção de Serviços de Inovação e Desenvolvimento
(Direction of Services for Innovation and Development)
Campo Grande, 83 - 1749-081 Lisboa - PORTUGAL
Tel./Fax: (+351) 217 982 083 / 217 982 123