On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Nassib Nassar wrote:
> I was at the meeting today, and the SRW group graciously listened to

And it was nice to meet you :)

> Greg, and I) have assumed were there because they had been in Z39.50
> are perhaps no longer there or are different in SRW.  For example,
> something seems to have changed about the way "databases" are

Right.  Each database lives at a separate URL endpoint, rather than the
Z39.50 model of having a server which can maintain multiple databases.
The reason being that URLs have practically zero cost, compared to
dedicated servers listening on ports.
And that there's nothing preventing implementers from writing a server
which maintains multiple databases ... you just reference them by the URL.

> I brought up ZOOM today because I thought it seemed to fit the grid
> service instance model, but I can't remember what the outcome of that
> discussion was.

Zoom is an excellent abstraction for object oriented IR, but doesn't
define a protocol itself ... it's just an OO interface to Z39.50 (and more
recently to SRW in some implementations)

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Dr Robert Sanderson ([log in to unmask])
,'---/::::::::::.    Nebmedes:  telnet: nebmedes.o-r-g.org 7777