On 12/10/03, Art Shifrin wrote:
> In this case "cleaning up sound" is not the goal. It's making it as
> undeststandible as possible. As such, my adivce is not to be concerned
> with whatever noise or listening fatigue are brought out in whatever
> proccesses are applied. I've found that compression and very narrow
> band peaking enable such decipherings. The band peaking's in the 3 -
> 5K range in which it's the overtones, rather than fundamentals that
> come through
>
> When digitizing the originals, if at all possible do the compression
> BEFORE the A/D. Otherwise the very low level voices, when brought up
> will suffer from very low bit resolution that'll cause unnecessary
> noise.

Good point. I've only experimented with stuff from conferences which was
already in a digital format.

> If you have access to any good old analog outboard noise reduction
> gear (i.e. Dolby or dbx), then their recording outputs will be
> compressed with pre-emphasized highs.
> That's a good way to pretreat the signal BEFORE digitizing it. An
> adjustable compressor (UREI, Orban, Manley would be better suited, but
> you can work wonders with the noise reduction encoders.

A Drawmer external compressor unit would no doubt work too. I have one
here that is around 20 years old, which I will try next time something
suitable comes up.

But using dbx is a good idea.

Regards
--