I am finishing up an article for "Public Libraries" on basic
videotape preservation for small public libraries. One of my sources
says that, when preparing a duplicate, to use a "NTSC color bar" and
a "sound tone" to calibrate the machines.

Two questions:

What does NTSC stand for, and where can people get a color bar?

Is the "sound tone" something that is generated by the player, or is
this an outside tone as well.  If a small library is dubbing a video,
it is probably using a household VHS- are there household VHS models
that have these calibration features?

Tony Greiner
--
Tony Greiner/Mary Grant  [log in to unmask]