At 04:27 PM 10/6/2003 -0400, Steven Smolian wrote:
>If I were a record compnay which possibly held rights to a recording, I'd
>want my lawyers to look at any relevent paperwork to be sure there was
>nothing that might come back and bite me later, regardless of potential
>sales.  This is just good corporate policy.
>
>And that's were the expense comes in- no small edition reissue label can
>bear this cost, especially when multiplied by, say, 20 cuts.
>
>At $ 5.00 per cut, wouldn't the companies loose money just on the cost of
>posting and other bookkeeping expenses?
>
>A solution should be proposed that covers the issues as seen by the
>copyright owners as well as those based on our own collector's passions.
>
>Perhaps a "hold harmless" insurance policy for which a small reissuer could
>apply might be worth consideration.
>
>Speaking of Capitol-Naxos, enough time should have elaped by now to
>determine if Capitol actually did file an appeal.  If not, the case stands
>as decided.  Anyone know?

Unless there is a sense of serving the public, no waiver of rights will
make sense to the companies. If anything proved that, the Capitol/Naxos
case does.

I've heard nothing further on the subject of appeals since the time for
filing was extended - not even when the appeal must be filed if there is to
be one.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/