One good place to post is on this list; another place to post is in the
industry magazines: mainly because it's a good way to get the word out.
In Canada, we have "Playback" magazine (which is Film oriented), and
also it would be worth mentioning to the Director's Guild (who handles
sound editors), IATSE and NABET. They all have magazines, and they are
glanced through by their members.

I would hesitate to hire someone directly out of school, unless you can
provide a sound engineering mentoring situation for them as well. As
I've mentioned before, there are quite a few excellent engineers out
there who would be interested.


Alyssa Ryvers

On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 10:06  AM, Lawrence A Appelbaum wrote:

> For the annual conference workshop in Philadelphia earlier this year,
> the ARSC Technical Committee compiled a list of engineers who
> specialize
> do preservation and archival transfer work. Perhaps the list can be
> posted on the ARSC website?
> Larry
>>>> [log in to unmask] 10/26/03 01:24 AM >>>
> There are recording studio programs, but frankly, I'm not sure how many
> of
> the graduates are interested in archival work as opposed to making the
> next
> hit. There might be some. You don't know until you ask. I suspect these
> organizations might be turning out more grads than there are job
> openings,
> but what else is new?
> These two have been around in the U.S. for a while (since your ISP ends
> in
> .com, I'm making the leap of faith that you're in the U.S.).
> Many other countries have taken this more seriously with "Tonmeister"
> degree programs at the university level.
> You might also contact your local chapter of the Audio Engineering
> Society.
> Most have newsletters. Some of these accept job postings.
> Cheers,
> Richard
> At 10:03 PM 10/25/2003 -0700, Tony Greiner wrote:
>> If a small to middle-sized library wanted to hire someone to dub
>> (duplicate) some tapes for them, how should they go about finding and
>> hiring someone qualified?
>> Is there a "certification" program, or some other form of
>> accreditation that the institution can rely on to determine
>> professional skill?