Dear Adrian Turner,

The Dance Division of the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
is in the middle of an encoding project with Apex right now.  It involves
118 paper finding aids, created by a variety of hands over the past 40
years.  This is the second project the library has done with Apex (done
before I came on board).   I contacted a variety of vendors for the job,
prepared the finding aids for the chosen vendor, and am the contact person
for problems.  We have just received the "first drafts" back from Apex and
I am checking them now.  If this kind of experience would be helpful for
your panel, I would be glad to be a part.

Sincerely,

Charles Perrier, Manuscripts Librarian
Dance Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York,  NY  10023
Tel: 212-870-1864
Fax: 212-870-1869

                      Adrian Turner
                      <adrian.turner@UC        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      OP.EDU>                  cc:
                      Sent by: Encoded         Subject:  Seeking participants: SAA 2004 panel discussion on outsourcing
                      Archival                  EAD encoding
                      Description List

                      10/04/2003 05:59
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Encoded Archival
                      Description List

Hi,

I'm trying to locate participants for a possible SAA 2004 Boston panel
discussion focusing on outsourcing EAD encoding to vendors.  The panel
would comprise four to five participants, with a moderator.  Two
panelists would represent conversion services.

I am seeking additional panelists who would represent institutions with
experience in preparing "home grown" or implementing existing conversion
specifications (such as RLGs), negotiating, preparing finding aids for
delivery, and quality control.  Through short presentations and
discussions with the audience, panelists will cover topics such as
vendor encoding processes, factors that influence pricing, creating
encoding specifications, and quality assurance and evaluation.

If you are interested in participating in this session, representing an
institution that has outsourced EAD encoding, please contact me *as soon
as possible* -- the deadline for the session proposal to SAA is Tuesday
10/7(!).

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the
proposal.

Thanks!
Adrian Turner
Online Archive of California Clearinghouse Project Manager
The California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President
415 20th St., 4th floor
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 287-3357
Fax: (510) 893-5212