To reiterate, I did say that I thought adding a type attribute had merit.

Our use a the Minnesota Historical Society of the altrender attribute is
certainly a stretch, though arguably less a stretch in our case as it
controls how an icon, or rather which icon, is rendered rather than
supplying text.  But a minor hack nevertheless.

As to the use of encodinganalog, having a stylesheet discern between "545 1"
and "545 0" puts an awful premium on string pattern matching, especially
since there is no standard (except in the RLG guidelines) as to how the
values are represented in the attribute.  Is "$545 0" or "545 0"?   Lots of
opportunities for typographical errors.

To say that <head> elements are not required is true but not particularly
useful.  Almost nothing is required by the DTD.  EAD is not a data content
standard and is not in the business of prescribing or enforcing the content
or even presence of particular elements.  With two or three exceptions, the
required elements all have to do with the identification of the electronic
file.

Even if one had a type attribute, it would be outside the domain of EAD to
define the relevant values if for no other reason than that the terms might
be different in different countries.  The need to make EAD even more
internationally useful in this way was one of the reasons behind removing
many of the prescribed lists of values for attributes in version 1.0.   Even
more so because, as is pointed out, ISAD(G) does not make a distinction.

Michael