On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Fox, Michael wrote:

> The Minnesota Historical Society uses the altrender attribute in a somewhat
> similar way.   The text of our "table of contents" consists of a series of
> icons rather than the text taken directly from <head> elements.  While we do
> include <head> elements in the body of the finding aid, we use a value in
> @altrender to determine whether the icon that reads "Administrative History"
> or the one that says "Biography" appears.
>
> That said, Marsha's suggestion for a type attribute has merit.
>
> On the other hand, I am not sure that personally agree that all this display
> information should always be left to the stylesheet.  I think that it is
> probably useful to include heads and labels, if only as a default when
> finding aids leave the creating institution or consortium and go off to who
> knows where to be interpreted by a stylesheet that may assume their
> presence.
>
> Michael

But since <head> elements are not *required* elements, that seems to imply
that a style sheet should at least provide a "default" on its own without
"assuming" anything and that "tests" should be performed on whether a
particular combination of parent/child elements exist, not on whether a
<head> element exists among those parent/child elements.

The benefit of having a "type" attribute would be that some consistency in
encoding it could be suggested among repositories who want to distinguish
between different types of <bioghist> notes.  This is best handled by an
attribute (consistently applied among repositories) rather than a value in
a <head> element which will vary (or perhaps omitted) among those
repositories.

I don't think any such consistency could be imposed on an attribute such
as 'altrender'.  According to the tag library, the attribute's definition
is:

"The content of the element should be displayed or printed differently
than the rendering established in a style sheet for other occurrences of
the element"

In this case, it's not so much to print a different heading (although that
may be a result) but to indicate the type of data that <bioghist>
contains.