I have a couple of questions regarding indexes, EAD 2 and XML Spy.  I am
new to XML Spy and EAD 2.  All of our collection registers have been
encoded in EAD version 1 using WordPerfect and where I relied heavily on
the Cookbook.  I am wondering first what commands are there in XML Spy
(if any) that will tell me what are valid options at any given point in
an XML file.  My specific example is that I want to see if I can imbed
an index into the XML file - we tried with EAD 1 and were not able to
get it to work so we created external indexes and linked via html.  I
would like to try again, but without being familiar yet with version 2,
I don't know exactly where to put it, or what the proper syntax is. I
was hoping that at the point that I try to insert an element I would get
a pop-up list in XML Spy that tells me what the valid elements are for
that location.  I was also wondering if there are any templates out
there - like eadperson and eadcorporate for version 1.

Leah Prescott
Manuscripts and Archives Librarian
Collections Information Technology Coordinator

MYSTIC SEAPORT
The Museum of America and the Sea
G.W. Blunt White Library
75 Greenmanville Avenue