There is also an interesting project coming from Perry Roland at UVA,
called the Music Encoding Initiative (MEI).  It's a lot like TEI, and
not meant for music notation markup either.  It might be able to handle
what you're looking for.  We're thinking of using it for musicological
analysis of historical sheet music.

Clay