Hi,

MODS would be the obvious choice - see www.loc.gov/standards/mods. If
you want to preserve collection level information (particularly the
structure of the collection), you could use EAD for this and MODS
records for the detailed descriptions. If you're planning to produce
digitized editions of your items, you should certainly used METS (www.
loc.gov/standards/mets) for this. Again you can use it in combination
with EAD if you wish to preserve the collection structure.

Hope this helps,
Richard