On Nov 6, 2003, at 12:30 PM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:

> I do think it would be worthwhile to identify the elements that are
> appropriate for external reference, and making them global wouldn't be
> a big effort.

One obvious subelement that could be useful to reference is the new
"part" element.  Dublin Core, for example, already covers much (all?)
of the top-level elements in MODS, but it could be nice to bring in the
additional detail of the part element for a variety of records.  And
such an element does not exist in any other schema that I am aware of
(well, except for the incomplete BibX DTD).

Bruce