Lucy,

I echo what Chris Prom has said 100%.  Over and beyond this, I'd also
look into using RDF Site Summary (RSS), or even plain RDF itself.
Google now seems to be indexing some RSS (perhaps because it recently
acquired Blogger?).  I've noticed that some blogs I read have moved
fairly high in the Google ranks after setting up RSS feeds.

One trick I tried on a past project that I worked on was to embed RDF
and DC into the HTML header.  I now hear that Google is not indexing the
"meta" elements for keywords, DC, etc., because they're too easily
abused by those trying improve their page ranks.  However, they are
still apparently indexing the content of "link" elements in HTML.  So,
inside your HTML header, you'll have an element that looks like this:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rdf+xml" title="RDF for EAD
Finding Aids" href="http://mysite.org/EAD.rdf" /> (for RDF, with a RDF
file residing at your web server's root directory)

-or-

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS for EAD
Finding Aids" a href="http://mysite.org/EAD_rss.xml"/> (for RSS, with a
RSS file residing at your web server's root directory)

This is certainly more experimental, so your mileage may vary.  At the
very least, I don't think this would hurt your page ranking.

Clay