In case anyone is interested in a number:  Just did a scan of my own
database of about 3.8 million records.  1,019 records contain the left half
or right half of the double ligature or tilde, without the nearby
complimentary character.  Obviously, these will have to be reviewed before
our local shift to Unicode.  Our own collection isn't particularly strong
in Slavic materials, so our incidence of this condition may be lower than
that found at other institutions.

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.