MARBI has been asked to review this standard and advise ALA on whether
to reaffirm it. We will be discussing this in San Diego.

From:  Betty Landesman, ALA Representative to NISO

From NISO:

All NISO standards must be reviewed five years following adoption to
assure
that they are viable and meeting users needs.  The following NISO
standard
is due for its five-year review.

ANSI/NISO Z39.71-1999 Holdings Statements for Bibliographic Items

Following consultation with the community it is the recommendation of
the
Standards Development Committee that Z39.71 be reaffirmed at this time.

The Holdings standard (Z39.71) describes four levels of holdings
statements
for serials and non-serials.  It is a standard that is widely deployed
throughout the library community. The current version replaces a series
of
earlier holdings standards dating back to 1980.

A ballot of the NISO members is required to complete the Reaffirmation.

ALA is a voting member of NISO.  It is my job to solicit and coordinate
the
comments and recommendations of the groups within ALA with an interest
in
the area addressed by this standard.  I hope that you and your
committee/group will find the time to review this standard, and to
discuss
it at your upcoming midwinter meeting.

You can find an abstract and a link to the full text of this standard at
http://www.niso.org/standards/standard_detail.cfm?std_id=590
<http://www.niso.org/standards/standard_detail.cfm?std_id=590> .

Although the balloting period does not end until January 23, I will need
some time to coordinate and synthesize your comments.  Plus it's a good
idea
to send them while they're fresh from ALA!  So please try to get me your
comments by January 15.

Thanks in advance for your input, and for your participation in the
standards process.

Betty Landesman
Associate Professor (Cataloger)
Learning Resources Division