Dear all

A series of queries to the list/LC.

1.  The MODS review page at:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/changes-3-0.html gives the following URL
for the location of the schema

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-0-draft-nov-24.xsd

but the file is not at that location.  Could you advise the correct address?
I can't get my files to validate as I'm including V3 coding but declaring
the older version.

2.  LC colleagues - any timelines on updated MODS2MARCXML and MARCXML2MODS
stylesheets becoming available?

3.  I've noticed a discrepancy between the MODS2MARC mapping for
<originInfo><dateCaptured> and the Guidelines.  Mapping reads:
<dateCaptured> with encoding="iso8601" 033 ind1=0 ind2=0 $a <dateCaptured>
with point="start" and 033 ind1=2 ind2=0 first $a encoding="iso8601"
<dateCaptured> with point="end" and 033 ind1=2 ind2=0 second $a
encoding="iso8601"
with the ind2=0 - Capture, defined as:
The recording of sound, the filming of visual images, the making or
producing of an item, including the creation of an item not involving
recording or filming.
However, the MODS guidelines state:
<dateCaptured>
"dateCaptured" contains the date on which the resource was digitized or a
subsequent snapshot was taken. This is particularly useful for Web resources
because of their changeability. This could be a date that the resource was
captured or could also be the date of creation.
I'd just like to check that <dateCaptured> is the most appropriate place to
store information about recording dates.
4.  I'd really like some advice on <relatedItem type="host">, especially as
I see there are some additions there, and there are some special issues as
we'll be converting these records to MARCXML (and MARC doesn't handle these
thiings particularly well!).
We have some sample records output from ScreenSound Australia's MAVIS
database, which incorporates the concepts of 'cover' and 'track' level
records.  I've included the following coding:
<relatedItem type="host">
                <titleInfo>
                        <title>Josie and Me; Pagan Love Song</title>
                </titleInfo>
                <physicalDescription>1, Shellac disc (78s, transcription),
10" Standard Play</physicalDescription>
                <identifier type="local">395552</identifier>
</relatedItem>

inside a MODS record for one of the components (which includes a URL to the
online sound recording etc.).  This will all map to various 773 sub-fields,
but looking at the changes to V3.0, I can see quite a lot of 'part' coding.
Any advice on how these might be used, and what MARC fields and sub-fields
they might map to?

5.  In V3.0, we now have

<place>
<placeTerm type="code" or "text" authority="">

Could you advise whether <placeTerm> is required (as namePart is required),
or whether it is acceptable to simply have <place>Australia</place>

6.  Now that MODS allows us to include a URL for an online resource in
<identifier type="uri>  AND
<location><url>

are others planning to include this information in both places and only
index one?

7.  My colleagues in the Australian National Bibliographic Database wondered
whether any other organisations had raised the needs for a MODS equivalent
to MARC 008 character position 28 to represent government publications?
Would you use

<genre authority="marc">government publication</genre>

But in this case, there is no way to indicate the jurisdictonal level.  This
is an issue for us as we are using MODS and our new Harvester system to pass
metadata bout online government publications through to the NBD.

Thanks

Marie-Louise

Dr Marie-Louise Ayres
Project Manager, Music Australia