As I suggested before, we could establish a list of values for citations
to be used in MODS <genre> if Bruce wants to provide them. Alternatively
we might consider the genres listed in the proposed OpenURL standard (we
would establish as a source to be used with MODS genre and perhaps MARC
655). They are:

Journal
Issue
Article
Conference
Proceeding
Preprint
Book
Book item
Report
Document
Dissertation
Patent

For further information see:
http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/StandardDocuments/KEV_Guidelines-20031112.pdf
(which is listed at  http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/Standard.htm)

(Thanks to Caroline Arms at LC for bringing this to my attention.)

Rebecca