Re #1. I've noticed it goes offline for a while when the LC is
incorporating changes.
#5. <placeTerm> is required. No MODS elements have mixed content.
#6. From the user guidelines:
    "identifier" contains a unique standard number or code which
distinctively identifies a resource."
A URI in <identifier>, then, should be a canonical name for the
resource, same as an ISBN in <identifier> would be. A URI in
&lt;<location> is where the resource may be found at the time, no
different than a shelf location.
#7. Could that information be coded under <originInfo>?