On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:51 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> The "academic journal" is one of those for me
> -- as far as I'm concerned a journal is a journal, and I can't figure
> out how you'd draw the line between academic and non-academic

IIRC, this was Rebecca's suggestion way back, and probably comes out of
an attempt to distinguish it from, say, a "legal journal" or maybe a
personal journal.

I don't much care myself.  I'm just looking for an unambiguous way to
make clear that a record represents a journal article.

Let's see, there are officially-sanctioned genre values for book and
newspaper, so I can clearly code also newspaper articles and book
chapter.

There's nothing equivalent for either magazine or journal articles.
While recognizing your genres-are-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder point, it
seems to me these are more "useful" than, for example, "font" or
"game."

Bruce