On Dec 4, 2003, at 5:56 PM, Rebecca S. Guenther wrote:

> As I suggested before, we could establish a list of values for
> citations
> to be used in MODS <genre> if Bruce wants to provide them.
> Alternatively
> we might consider the genres listed in the proposed OpenURL standard

If I look at the OpenURL genre list, it does add a few things that I'm
looking for.  It leaves out some things that are common in citation
formats, though, like personal communications (which could cover
letters, memos, emails, etc.), thesis and hearings.

One possibility I think I've discussed with Rebecca is coming up with a
list that covers all the genres currently covered in existing
bibliographic formats like Endnote, Reference Manager, BibTeX, etc.
That would in essence be a superset of the OpenURL list.  I'm happy to
do that, but will probably need some help.

This still leaves the question of whether some of these genre terms
ought to make it into the MARC list.

I guess this gets back to Karen's questions.  How would you propose to
deal with this Karen?

Bruce