The BibX list at http://tex.aanhet.net/bibx/doctypes.html is quite rich;
maybe "bibx" could be added to the list of authorities for <genre>.
Since the MARC genre terms are distilled from various places in the MARC
standard, it doesn't make sense to add to that list unless the
controlled vocabulary for a relevant MARC field is expanded.

If you'd like to use the MARC list, can't an application (stylesheet or
what have you) determine whether something is an article based upon
whether it has <relatedItem type="host"> with subelement <genre
authority="marcgt">periodical</genre>?  Similarly the bibTeX
@inproceedings would have a host item with genre "conference
publication", and @incollection would have a host item with genre
"book".  The scholarliness of the publication can be indicated, if
needed, with a value of "specialized" in <targetAudience>.  Then genre
of the main entry could be "technical report", where the equivalent of
bibTeX's @techreport could be distinguished from the others by lacking a
host item.

It occurs to me that such a hierarchical approach would give even more
granularity, if one needed it, by allowing the use of genres for the
hosted item like "abstract or summary", "biography", "review", and
"survey of literature" for scholarly journal publications other than
research articles.

--Andy