On Dec 6, 2003, at 11:57 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> MODS was created from MARC *Bibliographic*. The only events that MARC
> bibliographic recognizes are conferences, and only when they produce a
> publication. (And we know that although hearings could be considered
> events, they aren't well treated as such in MARC.)

This isn't a big deal to me, but just to clarify:

What I was referring to relates to the above examples, which are
structurally the same as the physical stuff that MODS/MARC deals with.
A conference, a hearing, a performance all have titles, creators, dates
and locations.  I don't see it a radical change at all to allow someone
to have:

<mods>
    <name type="personal">
       <namePart>Jane Smith</namePart>