I thought I would share with others our response to CPSO on the new draft
of LCRI 25.5B.  I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Adam Schiff

**************************************
* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *
* Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
* (206) 543-8409                     *
* (206) 685-8782 fax                 *
**************************************

CPSO,

We've reviewed the second draft of LCRI 25.5B and I am pleased to say that
our special materials catalogers are quite satisfied with this new
version.  We are looking forward to implementing the new provisions in the
RI.

One cataloger pointed out a typo on the introductory Web page for the
draft: it should say OLAC CAPC, not OLAC CAPS (the full name is the OLAC
Cataloging Policy Committee - its home page is
http://www.olacinc.org/capc/).

I have a few comments and questions of my own:

1) I am wondering if the LCRI should say something about revising existing
uniform title authority records established prior to the implementation of
this new LCRI.  For example, based on my reading of the draft, the
following two headings are not correct:

no2002025818
Queer as folk (Television program : Great Britain)

no2001071547
Queer as folk (Television program : United States)

The new draft says to break a conflict you should add a date or range of
dates, while in this case the country of production was used.  Should
catalogers revise such authority records when encountered, or leave them
as is?

2) No guidance is given on how to break conflicts for television programs
with the same title produced/broadcast in the same year.  We have had
several instances of such things.  Should the full broadcast date be used
in such a case, or should an additional qualifier be added and what should
be used (network or station broadcast on, country of production, director,
production company?).  In many cases, the full original broadcast date may
not be easily ascertainable.

Here are two examples from our catalog, for which we used the production
company to break the conflict:

 130  0  Macbeth (Television program : 1981 : Bard Productions)
 245  00 Macbeth|h[videorecording] /|cby William Shakespeare ; Bard
         Productions, Ltd. presents the Shakespeare Video Society
         production ; producer, Jack Nakano ; director, Arthur Allan Seidelman
 260     [S.l.] :|bCentury Home Video ;|aWest Long Branch, N.J. :|bKultur
         [distributor],|c[2001]
 300     1 videodisc (150 min.) :|bsd., col. ;|c4 3/4 in
 440   4 The plays of William Shakespeare ;|vv.4
 500     "A project of Santa Barbara Gazebo Theatre One, Inc."
 500     "Staged as seen in the 16th century."
 500     Taped at KCET ... Los Angeles, September 1981
 511  0  Jeremy Brett, Piper Laurie, Simon MacCorkindale, Richard Alfieri,
         Barry Primus, Millie Perkins, Alan Oppenheimer, Franklyn Seales

 130  0  Macbeth (Television program : 1981 : Lincoln Center Theater (New
         York, N.Y.))
 245  00 Macbeth|h[videorecording] /|cby William Shakespeare ; a television
         production of the Lincoln Center Theater Company and Lincoln
         Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. ; produced for television by
         John Goberman and Richmond Crinkley ; directed by Kirk Browning
 260     Princeton, N.J. :|bFilms for the Humanities,|c1988
 300     2 videocassettes (148 min.) :|bsd., col. ;|c1/2 in
 500     Originally taped for television in 1981
 508     Directed for the stage by Sarah Caldwell ; camera, Nick Hutak [et
         al.] ; music supervisor, composer and conductor, Edward Barnes
 511  1  Philip Anglim, Maureen Anderman, J. Kenneth Campbell, Fritz
         Sperberg, John Vickery, Kaiulani Lee, Neil Vipad, Kelsey Grammer,
         Dana Ivey, The Lincoln Center Theater Company

 130  0  Othello (Television program : 1981 : British Broadcasting
         Corporation)
 245  00 Othello|h[videorecording] /|cby William Shakespeare ; a BBC
         Television production in association with Time-Life Television
 260     New York, N.Y. :|bAmbrose Video,|c[198-?]
 300     2 videocassettes (ca. 204 min.) :|bsd., col. ;|c1/2 in
 440   0 Shakespeare plays
 490  1  Complete dramatic works of William Shakespeare
 500     Videocassette release of a 1981 television production
 508     Produced and directed by Jonathan Miller ; literary consultant, John
         Wilders
 511  1  Anthony Hopkins, Bob Hoskins, Penelope Wilton, Rosemary Leach,
         David Yelland, Joseph O'Conor

 130  0  Othello (Television program : 1981 : Bard Productions)
 245  04 The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice|h[videorecording] /|cby
         William Shakespeare ; Bard Productions ; directed by Franklin
         Melton ; producer, Jack Nakano
 246  30 Othello, the Moor of Venice
 246  1  |iTitle on label:|aOthello
 260     West Long Branch, NJ :|bKultur,|c[2001]
 300     1 videodisc (195 min.) :|bsd., col. ;|c4 3/4 in
 440   4 The plays of William Shakespeare ;|vv.6
 508     Music, John Serry ; camera, Dan Webb, Greg Harms, John Lee
 511  1  William Marshall, Ron Moody, Jennifer A. Agutter, DeVeren
         Bookwalter, Joel Asher, Leslie Paxton, Peter MacLean, Jay Robinson

3) We are getting a lot of DVD compilations of complete seasons of
television programs in which a main title/part title forms the title
proper, e.g.

I love Lucy. Season one
Sex and the city. Season four
Queer as folk. Second season
Mary Tyler Moore. First season
Six feet under. The complete first season

I've also seen the part title information recorded as other title
information:

The awful truth, with Michael Moore $h [videorecording] : the complete
second season
The awful truth $h [videorecording] : $b the complete first season
All in the family $h [videorecording] : $b the complete first season

Several questions arise:

a) I have seen some of these part titles coded as $n and some as $p.
Which is correct?  Should the examples above such as "the complete first
season" be coded as a part title included in the title proper or as other
title information?

b) If the parent title has had a uniform title established, e.g. I love
Lucy (Television program), should that uniform title be added to the bib.
record?  As a uniform title main entry or as a title added entry?  Should
the part title be added to it if it is entered as a main entry?

130 0   I love Lucy (Television program)
245 00  I love Lucy. $ Season one

or

130 0   I love Lucy (Television program). $ Season one
245 00  I love Lucy. $ Season one

or

245 00  I love Lucy. $ Season one
730 0   I love Lucy (Television program)

As compilations of episodes are becoming more and more common on DVD, I
would be very happy to see more guidance about this in this LCRI.  As it
is now, I am seeing a variety of practices on copy even in our own
catalog, so it is clear that catalogers aren't sure how to deal with this.

4) I'd like to recommend that the LCRI refer users to the Internet Movie
Database (http://www.imdb.com/) as a reference source for dates,
directors, etc.

Thank you very much for considering these comments.

Adam Schiff