line
here are a few points of clarification on the current status of the
BL's
NACO requirements and the status of free access to the BL's
bibliographic
data.

1) Access to BL/BNB Data

The British Library offers free access to records for material in its
collections via a number of routes. These include the Library's OPAC
'BLPC'
(http://blpc.bl.uk/), its Z39.50 server 'BLPCZ' (see
http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/blpc.html#z39 )and as part of the UK
Consortium
of University Research Libraries OPAC 'COPAC' (see
http://copac.ac.uk/copac/ ). These catalogues include many CIP records
that
have been upgraded on receipt of the item. In addition, users who are
members of organisations or co-operatives subscribing to the British
National Bibliography data service can also access pre-publication CIP
data,
see: http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/datalicensing.html#bnb .
The BL
also offers this information directly via its range of BNB products,
see:
http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/bnbcdrom.html and
http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/nbspubs.html#bnb .
Commercial organisations wishing to redistribute BL records to their
customers as part of their services can do so on payment of a license
fee
dependent on the nature of their requirement. Details of options can
be
obtained by contacting:

2) CIP print blocks

CIP print blocks are still created on receipt of requests from
publishers.
However the number of such requests received is steadily diminishing
as
publishers rely on the increasing availability of electronic sources
of
information for their publications.

3) Notification of changes to BL headings on NACO

The standing instruction in the NACO Participant's Manual was derived
from
the Cataloguing Policy Convergence Agreement made between the British
Library and the Library of Congress in 1996.  The aim of that agreement
was
the development of a unified Anglo-American Authority File "created by
the
Library of Congress and the British Library and their respective
co-operative partners".  The requirement of notification of changed
1XX
fields in NARs submitted to the NACO program was established as a
reciprocal
arrangement to allow the British Library the same control over its
bibliographic file maintenance as the Library of Congress.

As has been noted in earlier postings on this discussion the British
Library
makes a substantial contribution to the NACO file each year (19,460 new
and
11,118 revisions).  This contribution will increase substantially next
year
when we move to full convergence with MARC21 on our new ILS.
Notification
of BFM relating to changed BL NARs will continue to be of importance to
us
in maintaining the integrity of our databases and ensuring that our
bibliographic records remain controlled against the NACO file.  I can
confirm, however, that advance "consultation" can be largely read as
advance
"notification". We would not reject a change made in accordance with
NACO
guidelines, AACR2 and the LCRIs.

Andrew MacEwan
Head of Cataloguing