I am afraid that my point is not understood. It is all quite simple. We only have to agree
that, when I publicise my base-url, others only have to stick the SRU request after it,
without worrying about my cgi script. So it is up to everyone' s own implementation how
their base-url looks like but the client should never put the "?" between the base-
url and the request.
One server might prefer  http://someurl/database? as base-url, the other might prefer
http://someurl?database&. The client doesn't have to be aware of the difference.
It is important to realize that this is different from using local parameters! Local x-
parameters are actually used and known as parameters by the clients. The parameters
before the "?" are not to be USED by clients as parameters but are just a fixed part of
the base-url.

Theo