From: Don Cox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 January 2004 15:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] stability of shellac disks

On 30/01/04, Art Shifrin wrote:
> "I have shellac records over a century old which exhibit no
> deterioration other than wear!
> Steven C. Barr"
>
> How do you know that the disks have not in some way changed or
> deteriorated?
>
> Yes, they're playable but even glass changes shape over time.

I saw an exhibition of Roman glass a few years ago. Those bottles etc
didn't show any signs of having changed shape over 2000 years.

Regards
--
Don Cox

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Adopt a Book this season ! Help the British Library conserve the world's
knowledge.  www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.