----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 01/02/2004 11:11 AM
-----

Dick Spottswood <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: <[log in to unmask]>
01/02/2004 10:59 AM
Please respond to "tlist"

        To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
        cc:
        Subject:        Fw: Victor and COlumbia

Dear Pekka,
        I think that all the uproar about music downloading has made
record companies more paranoid than ever, and public access to historical
material is the last thing on their mind.  Recent decreases in profits,
corporate mergers etc. have also tended to feed the bar-the-door
mentality.  Let's hope it's temporary--and let's hope that legislators in
the US and elsewhere will begin to understand the problems that denial of
access creates. Certainly record companies are for-profit operations, not
public institutions, but their increasing control and monopolization over
these aspects of our cultural resources is a critical problem that
requires legislative action, unless voluntary reforms are forthcoming.

        As I'm sure you know, metal masters were melted down to support
the war effort in the 1940s, and many no longer exist.  CBS still has a
lot of foreign language masters from the 1920s-30s, but many metal parts
for early jazz, blues and country material are extinct, because record
companies placed no value on them in the 1940s.

        Thanks for the suggestion of eliminating special characters from
an online EMOR discography.  The problem is that I'd then have to go back
through the entire text to remove the ones already there!

        I'll circulate this to ARSC and tlist members to see if I can
elicit any responses.

Happy 2004,
Dick

Pekka Gronow is an archivist, discographer and record producer in
Helsinki.  I'll forward answers and observations to him.

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 01/02/2004 10:36 AM
-----

01/02/2004 09:08 AM