Konrad Strauss wrote:
> [log in to unmask] wrote:

>> I would be hesitant to assume that HDD's are safe to store for long periods
>> on the shelf without some significant testing of HDD's that have been
>> exposed to various conditions while not in the spin mode.

> Good point. What do you recommend for long term storage of digital files?

Has anyone mentioned magneto-optical storage media? Supposedly it has
a very long life, believed to last into many decades to over a
century. It is impervious to magnetic fields.

Of course, the best digital preservation, at least for now, is
redundancy and a program to continually transfer it to storage media
(keeping the old) as new and better storage technologies come into
being.

Jon Noring