Art Shifrin wrote:

> I think that high quality type II audio cassettes  would be an excellent
> analog back up medium IF the machines were to be available in full track
> mono,  and two track for stereo.  This'd be because of an increased
> footprint & all of its advantages, plus being able to keep the stuff wound
> tails out.
>
> I have cassettes that I made almost 30 years ago that have had their share
> of extreme enivornmental conditions in our cars and they still play
> properly.
>
> With the high cost of RTR stock, too many eggs are being stashed in digital
> baskets.
>
> Shiffy

Why either/or? Many professionals recommend both a digital archive
together with the original analog format. CDs or DVDs can be "played"
without contacting the information layer, and copies of digital
information retain the same quality as that of the master.

Also, I recall past discussions of hub and other problems with
cassettes.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.