David,

Please add our announcement:

In September 2003, ARSC member Eugene Earle donated his personal
collection to The Southern Folklife Collection at the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The Earle Collection consists of over
60,000 78rpm discs extensively documenting blues, country and western,
jazz, old-time and Hawaiian music.  In the early 1960's, Earle and
friend Ralph Rinzler were instrumental in discovering Arthel "Doc"
Watson, a then unknown guitarist/singer from Western North Carolina.
Earle recorded what became Doc's first records Old-Time Music at
Clarence Ashley's Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (Folkways). Eugene Earle also
founded the John Edwards Memorial Foundation, a non-profit organization
formed to preserve and promote American vernacular music in all its forms.

Thanks,

Steve