Ironically, I just called two local vendors yesterday to get this same
type of pricing quote.

One vendor quoted $80 per hour for the transfer, $80 per hour studio
time to clean the audio signal and make a CD quality file and $45 to
create the master CD. The second vendor charges $100 per hour for the
transfer, $185 per hour studio time to clean the audio signal and make a
CD quality file, and $100 to create the CD master.

The tapes I am interested in tranferring are poorly recorded oral
history interviews with a good deal of hiss.

I sent the tapes to one of the vendors so they can give me a sample of
what I can expect in the new improved version. It is up to my client to
decide if the project goes forward, but I also think that seeing if they
would be willing to invest time into creating a sample for you is worth
it. It would really be disappointing, not to mention a waste of money,
if you just sent it and there wasn't much difference.

--
Miriam Meislik
Associate Archivist

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001

Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time,
rescuing it simply from its proper corruption.
--André Bazin (1918–1958)