We've developed a Dublin Core help file that contains a pretty clear
description of how to format the open and approximate dates you are
talking about. Since the date format for both schemas is ISO 8601, this
guide can be used to create dates in an EAD document.

http://uwdcc.library.wisc.edu/DC_companionv1.3.pdf

You may want to look at the ISO 8601 documentation, as well.

http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html

Best,
Amy Rudersdorf

Digital Production Coordinator & Head, Metadata and Encoding Unit
University of Wisconsin-Madison Digital Content Group
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
[log in to unmask] // 608.265.8738
http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/localcolls
http://uwdcc.library.wisc.edu