From: Kathryn Jenner
Sent: 26 January 2004 11:01
To: Robin Wiltshire
Subject: message for EAD list: LCSH subject headings

Hello all,

I'm currently working on an EAD cataloguing project to produce an online
finding aid for the Leeds Archive of Vernacular Culture. On a general
level we've had very few problems with EAD, other than in the rendering
of LCSH subject headings. Having looked at the list archives it seems
that when this issue has been discussed previously, no "clear cut"
answer has been forthcoming as to what approach should be taken towards
representing the subdivisions of LCSH headings (i.e. MARC 650|x and |z)
in EAD.

As suggested by Richard Higgins, one approach is to use the
<controlaccess> element as a wrapper with LCSH contained within
<subject> elements with "encodinganalogs" representing the various MARC
divisions, i.e.:

....<controlaccess>
<controlaccess encodinganalog="MARC650">
<subject encodinganalog="$a">Calligraphers</subject>
<subject encodinganalog="$z">Minnesota</subject></controlaccess>
... more index terms ...
</controlaccess>

I would be grateful of any comments regarding this approach to LCSH in
EAD, and also any information on alternative strategies.

Kathryn Jenner

Research Assistant

Leeds Archive of Vernacular Culture

School of English