On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:48, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Kevin S. Clarke wrote:
> > To me, the space is content, just as spaces between words are content,
> > not just a matter of display (which is what I would want a stylesheet
> > handle).
>
> You raise a good point, which perhaps brings us back to Roy's position,
> which is starting to look like the most simple/elegant solution.
>
> But while I recognize you're logic, does this suggest one ought to have
> the following?
>
> <name>
>     <given>Jane </given>
>     <other>Q. </other>
>     <family>Doe</family
> </name>

I should have been more specific and said "spaces within distinct units
of information".  I also prefer attributes to elements for articles
because to me the "L" or "Le" are not distinct units of information like
"family", "given", or "title" are.

In general, I'd say spaces within distinct units of information are
significant while spaces between units of information are formatting.
Since the article really, in my mind at least, does not exist apart from
the title it should be an attribute of the title.  As a part of the
title element, it should have its spacing treated as significant (so
that it could be combined with the element's content without any extra
manipulation).

How you slice up what the distinct units of information are is, of
course, open to interpretation... this is just my take.  I also prefer
the attribute to repeating the same information just to get the sort
title.  We have enough data repetition in MARC... I would not want to
carry this over to a new XML format.

Kevin

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice,
but in practice there is.